Thursday, December 15, 2011

Time to write


It has been some time since I have written. It is crazy to think that I can post on this daily. At least I am here now and I can share a few stories. Thanksgiving was amazing with lots of family and fun and food of course. It started with our 3rd annual Fairway Estates Turkey Trot. This is where all the kids and adults in the neighborhood meet in the culdesac at 9am and we do a bike, run for the kids. Then the adults take off on a bike, run and a walk for those that prefer to walk. We also donate money to a charity each year! What a blast and what a way to begin Tday!

My dad is a farmer so he likes his meet and potatoes so non stuffing was not an option. It was a great spread with the normal TDay food and then a few of my paleo additions found off one of my favorite sites Paleo Plan.

This recipe came verbatim from Everyday Paleo. It serves 5-8 adults. Thanks, Sarah!

1 lb mild Italian pork or chicken sausage, casing removed (Sarah used chicken sausages from her local butcher)
4 ½ cups mushrooms, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
6 celery stalks, diced
4 carrots, diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon diced fresh sage
½ tsp minced fresh thyme leaves
½ cup dried cherries, finely chopped
½ cup slivered almonds
½ tablespoon garlic powder
4 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. In a large soup pot, sauté onions in olive oil until translucent. Add the sausage and brown. Add the carrots, celery, mushrooms, chicken broth, cherries, almonds, sage, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the veggies begin to absorb the chicken broth. Transfer to a large glass baking dish, cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.



We ate, we played, kids swam, we chilled and we watched some football!

Since Thanksgiving, we have continued our Crossfit regimen and even have the kids doing CF Tuesdays and Thursday. They love the way it makes them feel and that makes me happy!

We also celebrated Hayley turning 7, can't believe my youngest is 7 already. Just some soccer fun times with her friends at soccer zone South!

I am looking forward to after the Holidays because it is just too easy to cheat. I do my best and cook a lot and my new favorite is Spaghetti Squash. Who knew! Yesterday I made a Pesto Spaghetti Squash and it was delish, from my Paleo Comfort Food Cook book. I also found a Gumbo recipe. I am brigning it to the in-laws and I am in hopes that Dad will cook it with me! He makes the most amazing Gumbo, which I will have.....but I would really like to try this one too. The best part is the Cauliflower rice, yes it is easy and delish! JBOD, you will love it.

That's all for know! Happy Cooking, working out and Family time to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment